KnuFunK is a Rochester, MN based local Funk band doing what we love best; performing and sharing our love of Funk and R&B. Many say we are one of Rochester's best kept secrets. We love making you to smile, laugh, dance, and feel happy from our Fun(musi)K.
KNUFUNK (It's pronounced "NEW FUNK") is a PALINDROME. Y'all know that big word y'all learned in elementary school but hardly ever thought about again until I mentioned it just now? LOL!). The logo is pretty clever and creative. It's "FunK" spelled backwards and forwards. It also looks the same in the mirror. Try it :-)
However, there is a symbol in the center called an Ankh, and it DOES NOT represent a religion or belief of any kind. I used it for 2 main reasons.
- It looks like 2 consecutive letter F's back to back, and fits nicely with my mirror image thing. And it looks cool; much better than something like KnuFFunK (yuck!)
- It is the ancient Egyptian symbol for life. I am a long-time student of ancient Egyptology. The Ankh is very prominent in everything the Egyptians did and can be viewed in the carvings on temple walls and hieroglyphics. It is their global symbol for life. Yes, it looks like a cross, but it's just simply a symbol for life and the start of life, conception. Let's break it down; 1) the top circle represents the womb, 2) the bottom vertical line represents the male phallus, 3) and the intersecting horizontal line represents where the 2 meet and life begins, conception. I think its a pretty cool symbol.
So please don't be intimidated or offended by the Ankh. Just know that it's only a symbol representing the intention for our music to energize and enhance your life.
KnuConcept - DJ Groove Computa mixes beats with KnuFunK live sounds
RochesterFest 2023 - KnuFunK performing at Riverside Elementary
Riverside Central Elementary invited KnuFunk to our last family event of the school year.The lead musician, Mr. Porter, was professional and easy to work with.The band was willing to adapt to our environment -- we were so glad to have our event outdoors. The music they played was for everyone -- they performed everything between classic rock and current pop tunes that our students loved. The dynamic band members had so much positive energy and engaged our families to dance -- it ended up to be one big dance party by the end of the event. The music is so good-- from the vocalists to the improvised guitar riffs. Riverside is going to have KnuFunk back as often as we can.
Community Schools Facilitator
Riverside Central Elementary
Roc'Town at the North Star (Original)
Cosmic Slop at RochesterFest
Do It at RochesterFest (Original)
RochesterFest 2023 - Bishop performs Happy
Douglas V. Porter, M.S.
Owner/CEO of HeartFelt Beats Productions
You may know me as a local Rochester musician / composer and leader of my band, KnuFunK. You may also know me as a medical imaging software engineer for Mayo Clinic.
The following is my summary of accomplishments and work for which I am proud:
I was born and raised in Northeast Philadelphia where I attended Ben Franklin high school graduating #3 in my class of 600.
Earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology at Brandeis University
I served in the Airforce for 8 years as a programmer writing diagnostic medical imaging applications. I was as awarded the prestigious Air Force Commendation Medal for my service
Earned a Masters of Science degree in Math, Computer Science, and Systems Design at the University of Texas at San Antonio.
I‘m retired from the Mayo Clinic after 29 years of working as a software engineer for the radiology department. During that time I helped develop an application called QREADS that is used Mayo-enterprise-wide (It’s the program that your Mayo doctor uses to display your images after X-Rays, CT or MRI.
I’m the inventor of a suite of Mayo Clinic diagnostic imaging apps called Mayo Image Studio that was primarily used by the Nuclear Medicine department at Mayo Clinic for about 20 years. I received a 1st place award at the International Society of Nuclear Medicine Conference in Toronto for my invention. I also received The Award for Individual Excellence from Mayo for my work.
I’m also an R&B, Funk and Rock music composer and musician. You may have seen me perform as the leader and guitar player / vocalist for band called KnuFunK (pronounced New Funk). KnuFunK has been performing around Rochester for years at events like Down By the Riverside, RochesterFest and Thursdays on First.
I was commissioned by the Mayor to write the Rochester theme song “Rochester's a Number One City” back in 1995.
I’m currently a member of the Rotary Club and active in its STRIVE program where I mentor high school students to improve their grades with the goal of college enrollment.
I’ve served on the Celebration of a City / RochesterFest Board and the Civic Music Board.
I served as president of the Black Data Processing Associates (BDPA) where I successfully trained high school students to compete in the Annual National Computer Programming Competition. We won first place in the nation for several years is a row competing with 30 chapters from all of the majors cities in the USA. I worked with Jerry Williams to get the students high school credit after winning the national competition.
I was a volunteer for the Boys and Girls Club for which I installed the first recording studio. We actually made a CD with some pretty great songs. A song called “Thank You” was the hit song on that CD.
I recently received a certificate in Music Technology from RCTC with a 4.0 average and graduated with High Honors in 2022.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Associate of Arts Music Performance, Paul Quinn College, Dallas, TX
Currently Attending Model And Talent Management, John Casablanca Center Acting, Houston, TX
• Song Composition
• Music Recording
• Vocalist/Musical Performer
• Monologue Techniques
• Working with a Teleprompter
• Commercial Techniques
• Improv Techniques
• Spokesperson Techniques
• Voice Overs Cold Reading
• Posing with Props
• Runway Choreography
• Runway Doubles Basic Runway Technique
Gifted entertainer with experience and strong compassion for acting, musical performances and theater. Dedicated performer willing to collaborate with other professionals or perform in solo roles. Consistently cultivates long lasting professional relationships within theater, TV, music and radio industries. Remains focused and poised in fast-paced settings.
Esquires (Popular Singing group. Hit song: Get On Up) | Chicago, IL
• Developed strong interpersonal skills to deal with different personalities.
• Traveled to various locations throughout USA for performances.
• Performed in front of live audiences on television and as part of theater productions.
• Collaborated with other musicians to plan rehearsals and performances.
Knufunk: Popular Local Band | Rochester, Minnesota
• Star vocalist and front man for the group. Gave highly energetic and fun performances
• Recorded and released more than 10 songs.
• Performed in front of live audiences on television and radio
• Long Way Home by Thomas Jones, Springfield, IL.; Character played: “Jeff” was a multimedia play.
• The Wizard Of Oz, James Madison High School, Milwaukee WI.; Character played: “Tin Man"
• Cancer Foundation Telethon with Knufunk LLC in Rochester, MN; Lead Vocalist / Entertainer
• Are Teachers Human stage play, Milwaukee, WI; Character played: Pudding Head